Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Onions, Art, and Cupcakes



I took a break from the blogging world for the past several days, but I'm back now! I'm determined to keep this thing going! What's the latest in the Sanchez household? Well, last week Silverio and I celebrated 2 months of marriage. It's hard to believe it has already been that long. We still look at each other sometimes and say, "wow-we're married!". We've decided that for our first year of marriage we are going to celebrate our anniversary each month on the 21st or as close to the 21st as possible. Our 1 month anniversary was spent at Bed, Bath & Beyond buying some things left on our registry, and going to see the movie, Midnight in Paris. The movie was fantastic and would be greatly appreciated by Great Gatsby lovers and the like!

For our 2 month anniversary we decided to check out this cafe that Silverio had seen one of his friends "check in" to. The cafe is called Onion Creek. It is actually apart of The Creek Group which is a group of restaurants in The Heights. Each restaurant focuses on different types of cuisines. Onion Creek sells sandwiches, flatbreads, wraps and the like. I got the hummus wrap and thoroughly enjoyed it. The atmosphere is very laid back and there is free wi-fi. It is safe to say the Sanchez's will be back again! After eating lunch, we made our way to the Houston Museum of Fine Arts. We spent a couple hours looking at the various displays, and tried our best to retain something that we read/saw. Needless to say, I can't remember much about the paintings. I'm more into the performing arts than the visual arts. When we finished up at the museum we decided to checkout a local cupcake place I had found online called, Sugarbaby's. I had been wanting to find a delicious cupcake place since we moved here, and Sugarbaby's was only a few miles away from the museum. We walked in the door and I immediately was impressed with the decor. It was set up as a parlor and the colors were fun! After seeing the decor, my eyes immediately went to the cupcake case and found there to be only 4 flavors left. What?! How can a cupcake place only have 4 flavors left? Silverio ended up getting a hummingbird cupcake (pineapple, banana, pecans) and I got a red velvet one. I tried to brush off my disappointment with the lack of flavors, and eagerly sat down on a stool to devour my cupcake. The cupcake looked great, but it was d-r-y. It didn't taste bad, but it was not worth the $3.50. I was hoping the cupcake would be as delicious as Mr. Cupcakes or Stuffed Cupcake back in New Jersey, but sadly it didn't compare at all. We are still on the lookout for a sensational cupcake place! Perhaps that will be a mission we'll take on for our 3 month anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment